‘Appalling wickedness and evil’: Funeral of Keane Mulready-Woods takes place
Remains of teenager brought to Drogheda church in white coffin
The remains of Keane Mulready Woods leave The Church of the Holy Family after his funeral Mass. Photograph: Collins Dublin
Gang members involved in the Drogheda feud must stop the violence, and young people caught up in it need to learn from the murder of Keane Mulready-Woods, said the priest concelebrating the 17-year-old’s funeral mass.
“This murder has brought about an unparalleled level of revulsion, not alone in Drogheda, but throughout our country and, indeed, far beyond,” Fr Gaffney said.
He said the boy “had his troubles” adding that he was “young and naive enough to fall in with the wrong people, not knowing or anticipating the dire consequences”.
“I hope that his death will be a warning to other young teenagers who are being groomed by the ruthless criminals; that the promise of money and gifts will inevitably end in tragedy,” he said.
“Keane’s association with them, sadly, led to the inhuman, unthinkable way in which his young life was to end.”
Addressing the boy’s friends at Thursday’s funeral at the Church of the Holy Family in Ballsgrove, Drogheda, the priest said he knew they had been deeply affected by his murder.
“Please learn from his mistakes, getting involved with dangerous criminals, thinking some of them were his friends and yet they would sacrifice him in such a brutal manner,” he said.
“Drugs have become extremely easy for young people to obtain. It isn’t just communities with deprived socio-economic backgrounds that are worse for illegal drug-taking, it has become socially acceptable across the country among people from all backgrounds.
“People who are taking drugs on a social basis have to realise that what they are doing is fuelling this situation of violence. The problem arises from the ‘normalisation’ of a drugs culture here in Ireland.
“Drug taking, ‘doing a line of coke’, has become as normal as having a drink. We need a nationwide response from our Government.”
Keane is survived by his parents Elizabeth and Barry, his sister Courtney and by his brothers Darren, Ryan and Jack.
He was last seen alive in his native Drogheda on Sunday, January 12th at about 6pm. Gardaí believe he was killed in the town and dismembered that evening; his remains were found in two locations in north Dublin over the next two days.
There was a significant Garda presence on Thursday at the funeral. Several hundred people attended the funeral Mass.
The funeral cortege followed by about 100 mostly young people, many wearing white T-shirts with a photograph of the teenager, arrived at the church shortly after 11am. His remains were brought to the ceremony in a white coffin. There was a heavy Garda presence at the funeral. The Garda had requested that the media not enter the church during the funeral service, though reporters, photographers and TV camera crews gathered outside. While a number of press photographers and TV camera crews were taking photographs and footage as the cortege arrived, a young man broke off from the crowd and approached them.
He told those present to leave, adding if they were still outside the church when the service was over he would break their cameras.
After the service ended about 45 minutes later, when a larger group of photographers had gathered, two men ran over to the members of the media, calling them “scum”, only to be stopped by gardaí who moved in to prevent a confrontation.
Gardaí were set to retain a presence around any social gatherings on Thursday night after the burial of Mulready-Woods at Drogheda’s Calvary Cemetery.
Some of the people gathered for the funeral are also targets of the gang that killed the 17-year-old last month and there are fears they could be targeted at any time as part of the feud.
========================== and there are more gangs
Gardaí probe latest Longford feud shooting incident as shots fired through front door of house
Gardaí say they are keeping an “open mind” into the circumstances behind another shooting incident which took place in Longford town last night.
Two shots were fired through the front door of a house in the Annaly Gardens area shortly before 9pm in an incident that’s already been linked to one of the county’s ongoing feuds.
Despite no one being injured, a car allegedly sped off from the scene in the immediate aftermath.
The Leader understands forensic examination officers found two pellet holes and shrapnel at the scene.
Sources claim the incident may be connected to claims the victims in last night’s episode were also targeted in a botched shooting as they travelled along the Dublin Road in a car on Monday night.
Gardaí, in the interim, have launched an investigation and have appealed for anyone who may have noticed anything untoward in the Annaly Gardens area between 8:30pm and 9pm last night to contact Longford Garda Station at (043) 3350570.
Five arrested as cannabis valued at €289,000 seized in northwest
Properties in Ballaghaderreen, Charlestown and Clogherevagh raided as part of operation
Five people have been arrested after gardaí seized cannabis worth an estimated €289,000 during searches at locations in counties Roscommon, Mayo and Sligo. Image: An Garda Síochána.
Five people have been arrested after gardaí seized cannabis worth an estimated €289,000 during searches at locations in counties Roscommon, Mayo and Sligo.
A Garda spokesman said two searches were carried out at separate properties in Ballaghaderreen, Co Roscommon. The first raid led to the discovery of 67 cannabis plants and cannabis herb valued at €54,000. Two men, aged 33 and 46, were arrested in connection with the haul.
A 41-year-old man was arrested at the second location in the town after some 2kg of the drug and 86 plants worth an estimated €107,000 were found.
A 26-year-old man was arrested at a crime scene in Charlestown in Co Mayo after 80 cannabis plants with an estimated value of €64,000 were identified.
A fourth search in Clogherevagh, Co Sligo led gardaí to uncover a further 80 cannabis plants with a potential valued of €64,000. A 49-year-old man was arrested at the scene.
The five men remain in custody and the operation, which aims to disrupt the sale and supply of cannabis in the northwest region, is ongoing.