Another Kinahan Cartel Hitman found guilty of Murder, another one bites the Dust.

Posted by

Liverpool man found guilty of murdering Michael Barr at Dublin’s Sunset House pub

  3 hrs ago  


A globetrotting car thief has been convicted by the non-jury Special Criminal Court of murdering the manager of the Sunset House pub in Dublin over four years ago.

Liverpool native David Hunter (41), with an address at Du Cane Road, White City, London, had denied the Kinahan Cartel murder of 35-year-old Michael Barr at the Sunset House pub in Dublin’s north inner city on the night of April 25, 2016.

Hunter is the second man to be found guilty of murdering Mr Barr, a dissident republican. In January 2018, Eamonn Cumberton (32) of Mountjoy Street, Dublin 7, was also convicted of murdering the Tyrone native.

Delivering judgment, Mr Justice Alexander Owens, presiding, sitting with Judge Gerard Griffin and Judge David McHugh, said that the evidence had been heard in a “compelling way” that Hunter was one of the two gunmen who entered the Summerhill pub and murdered Mr Barr by shooting him. Hunter’s involvement in the murder had been “fully proved” and the three-judge court was “sure of his guilt”, remarked Mr Justice Owens.

The judge noted that the murderers had failed to burn out the getaway car, which had been abandoned at Walsh Road in Drumcondra a few minutes after the killing and they had also dropped a burner phone at the getaway scene.

He said the major part of a DNA profile taken from a ski-mask recovered from the car during the investigation into the shooting of Mr Barr matched and verified the profile of Hunter. The circumstantial evidence in the case “pointed inextricably” to Hunter’s guilt and the facts taken together had established the father-of-five’s guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. No other rational explanation could be drawn, he indicated.

Mr Justice Owens said the court rejected Hunter’s explanation for his whereabouts on the night and found it “implausible” with part of it being contradicted by other evidence. He also said the story of how Hunter came to lose his ski-mask “did not have a ring of truth about it” and there was no doubt that it was put into the getaway car to either use at the murder or in the getaway car. “Whether he is an avid skier is neither here nor there,” he added.

In a voluntary statement to gardaí, Hunter said the ski-mask was his but that he had dropped it in a car driven by another man when he visited Ireland two months before the murder on a car-stealing exercise. Hunter also claimed he had used the mask on various ski trips with his children to Norway, France, Spain, Scotland, Austria and Switzerland. A number of holiday photos of Mr Hunter in a ski mask were handed into court during the trial.

“The DNA material attributed to Hunter and the matching DNA profile itself established a strong probability that Hunter was one of the murderers in the car,” said Mr Justice Owens. He described it as “far-fetched” and not a “credible explanation” that the ski-mask had been left behind by the defendant when he came to steal cars in Dublin in February 2016.

The presiding judge said it struck the non-jury court that Dublin has no shortage of minor criminals and Hunter is from Liverpool so the idea that he came to the capital for a day or two to steal cars was “improbable”.

In conclusion, the judge said that Hunter could not have been the driver of the getaway car as he was unlikely to be familiar with places like Walsh Road in Drumcondra. The evidence pointed to Hunter being in the rear passenger seat of the Audi and Cumberton being the driver, he continued.

Mr Justice Owens said the court did not accept that the purpose of Hunter’s “peculiar” trip to Dublin was for “one last fling” before he checked himself into a rehabilitation centre in Spain. Hunter further claimed he had come to Ireland from Liverpool on the ferry two days earlier to see a UB40 concert, but it had already taken place.

Hunter had received a phone call an hour after the murder from one of the four “murder phones” used on the night. The three-judge court found the defendant’s explanation that he had taken a call that night from a man looking to buy his red BMW car, which he brought to Ireland to sell as “unbelievable and untrue”. Mr Justice Owens said it was more likely that when the gang could not get Hunter on the burner phone that was dropped after the murder that night, they called him on his personal UK mobile.

Mr Barr was shot seven times after two armed men wearing boiler suits and full rubber masks over their faces entered the Sunset House pub at around 9pm. He had been shot fives times in the head, once in the leg and once in the shoulder. Then-Deputy State Pathologist Dr Michael Curtis found that the cause of death was multiple gunshot wounds.

During the five-week trial which ended in July, evidence was given that at around 9.20pm at Walsh Road in Drumcondra, a silver Audi A6 was seen to arrive and that three occupants got out and set the car alight. The three men then got into a “possibly silver” Ford Mondeo and left the scene but gardaí already in the area arrived at 9.42pm and extinguished the fire.

The burning Audi A6 vehicle was examined. Cocked and loaded weapons, ready for use, were discovered. Boiler suits, two ski masks and two rubber masks were also found in the rear seat. Gardaí also found a “burner phone”, which had a number of missed calls, next to a bullet on the grass nearby.

During the trial, Dr Edward Connolly of Forensic Science Ireland testified that mixed DNA profiles had been found on two masks – one rubber and one ski – taken from the Audi by gardaí. The expert witness said that he found a mixed DNA profile on a ski-mask with four elements; one major, two minor and one trace. The “major contributor” of the ski-mask’s DNA profile formed 61% of the mixed profile, he said.

DNA samples from an apple core and a cigarette butt discarded by Hunter in the course of his extradition from the UK and his processing in Ireland on October 16, 2019, were also cross-referenced by Dr Connolly. The witness testified that the odds on the profile created by the cigarette butt and the apple core being of “an individual unrelated to the DNA on the ski-mask were “a thousand-million to one”.

Closing the prosecution case in July, prosecuting counsel Dominic McGinn SC with Ronan Kennedy SC said Hunter would have to be an “extremely unlucky” man if he was not involved in the killing.

He argued that “there could be no reasonable doubt” of Hunter’s involvement unless the court was to believe that he had been “extremely unlucky with all of these coincidences” that had been offered in his defence.

Mr McGinn said that DNA evidence on a ski-mask, which had a mixed profile with one 61% contributor, matched the DNA profile taken from a cigarette butt and ear-plugs used and discarded by Hunter when in custody. Furthermore, Mr McGinn said that ballistics could match the guns used in the murder to those found in an Audi A6 on the Walsh Road in Drumcondra, Dublin 9, shortly after the shooting.

Defence counsel Roisin Lacey SC said in her closing address that her client was “no James Bond, or Ethan Hunt” and was instead a “two-bit car thief”. Ms Lacey pointed out that Hunter, who claimed he came to Ireland to see a concert and said he was with two women in a Dublin hotel around the time of the shooting, could not “logically” have been the killer. The barrister stressed that her client was not in the Sunset House, not in the vehicles used on the night and that he did not shoot anyone.

Ms Lacey indicated that the defendant was a habitual wearer of the mask in the past and this could explain the majority of the mixed profile coming from Hunter on the ski-mask which had been in close contact with the rubber mask.

Mr Justice Owens will hand down the mandatory sentence of life imprisonment on November 2 and remanded Hunter in custody until that date. He adjourned sentencing after counsel for the defence, Ms Lacey, asked for time to read the victim impact statements which will be submitted to the court.

Speaking outside the Criminal Courts of Justice, the father of Michael Barr said it was a “good day for us as a family” and the verdict gave them “some satisfaction” that Hunter “was going behind bars”.

Colin Barr said Hunter had been “found guilty for all his lies”.

“He thought he could come from Liverpool and murder somebody and skip back to Spain. Michael’s son is here, his heart is broken. These boys need to know there are consequences for taking someone’s life, that they will have to pay a price,” he added.

Mr Barr also said: “We know who’s behind this. Everyone knows who is paying these men and people are prepared to take money to take a human life, at the end of the day, that’s what it’s all about, killing for money, it’s ridiculous. I have no fear of them, they can do what they want,” he said.

He said organised crime “has got no place in Ireland” and “without the gardaí these people would not be behind bars”.

Mr Barr also called for Hunter to serve his full sentence in Ireland. “The problem is, when he serves his sentence he’ll probably be sent back to Liverpool to prison there, which is not right. He left England to come here to murder an Irish man, so why should he be sent home. He should definitely be made to serve his sentence here,” he concluded.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s