This House has massive Historic Relevance, Remarks coming from the D4 West Brits are starting to come from the Shadows. This is our History?

Posted by

Cash pours in for judicial review of The O’Rahilly house demolition

The house before demolition

The house before demolition  

October 23 2020 02:30 AM





An application to seek a judicial review of the planning forms for the site where 1916 leader The O’Rahilly’s house was demolished has been approved by the High Court.

The Pembroke Road Association said it is confident of raising the estimated €50,000 now required to have the review heard because it is getting donations from all over the country on a daily basis.

The Ballsbridge residents’ association said it wants the review of An Bord Pleanála’s granting of permission to Derryroe Ltd to develop a 12-storey apartment building and hotel on the site on Herbert Park.

The bulldozers moved in on the historic O’Rahilly House at 40 Herbert Park before dawn on September 29. Within hours it was reduced to rubble to make way for the luxury apartments and hotel development. Dublin City councillors had previously voted to start the process of having the building included on its list of protected structures.

However, An Bord Pleanála had already approved an application by the developer to raze the building, in the face of opposition from heritage groups and some local residents, as well as descendants of The O’Rahilly.

After the demolition Dublin City Council ordered work to stop on the site pending an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the demolition.

“Once the city council has ascertained the facts it will take any appropriate action,” a spokeswoman said.

Shocking ADVERTISEMENT                                                     ×

Chair of the Pembroke Road Association Siobhán Cuffe confirmed papers seeking the judicial review had now been lodged by their solicitor, Fred Logue.

“The destruction of the house in the early morning of September 29 is utterly shocking. The city councillors had voted that it would be listed and preserved,” said Ms Cuffe.

“The proposed 12-storey block is three times the maximum height permitted in the area.

“It is substantially outside the framework of the Dublin City development plan.

“No account was taken of the strategic environmental assessment required under the Dublin city plan, and the effect on the Ringsend waste water treatment and Dublin Bay.

“We would like to see the O’Rahilly House being rebuilt, or the site being turned into a park for children that could be named after O’Rahilly and commemorate 1916.”

Proinsias Ó Rathaille, the grandson of The O’Rahilly, said claims the house had no historic relevance were not true.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s