Husband finds seven-month-baby dead in bed after police wake him up to tell him his wife was found dead under a motorway bridge
- The body of Nicola Keane, 34, was found under a bridge near her home in Dublin
- She was discovered on Tuesday morning, Irish police later found her baby dead
- Police had to tell her partner who was unaware and sleeping upstairs, reportedly
- Irish Gardai say they are treating the incident as a ‘family tragedy’ at this stage
23 October 2020 | Updated: 02:00, 24 October 2020
The body of an Irish nurse was discovered under a bridge just hours before her seven-month-old baby son was found dead at her home.
The body of Nicola Keane, 34, was found under a bridge near the M50 in Dublin at around 4am on Tuesday morning.
When Irish police went to her home in Lucan, they found her baby Henry ‘unresponsive’. The Gardai confirmed he was pronounced dead ‘a short time later’.
Officers are not looking for anyone else in connection with the deaths and say they are treating it as a ‘family tragedy‘. +2
Pediatric nurse Nicola Keane’s body was found underneath a bridge in Dublin on Tuesday morning. Her devastated partner was awoken by police and only discovered about both their deaths after officers arrived, reports say
A source told the paper: ‘This is a terrible, terrible tragedy. A family tragedy. Gardai are not looking for anyone else.
‘The post mortem on the baby will determine which way the investigation will go.’
Pediatric nurse Nicola worked at Children’s Health Ireland in Crumlin.
Friends described her as a kind and considerate person.
She is thought to have moved to Lucan in Dublin more than six years ago, having previously lived in Ballina
Kanturk deaths: Detailed note found on body of Diarmuid O’Sullivan
Updated / Wednesday, 28 Oct 2020 22:11
A note running to up to a dozen pages was discovered on the body of Diarmuid O’Sullivan, the 23-year-old student who was found dead alongside his father in a field at their farm near Kanturk on Monday.
Gardaí investigating the suspected murder-suicide are looking at the possibility that the fatal shooting of Mark O’Sullivan may have been planned by his younger brother and father over a period of time.
The body of the 26-year-old trainee solicitor was found with gunshot wounds in the bedroom of the family home at a 115-acre farm at Assolas, near Kanturk, on Monday.
The bodies of his 59-year-old father Tadhg and brother Diarmuid were found a short time later near a ringfort half a kilometre from the farmhouse.
The note found on Diarmuid’s body is described as lengthy and detailed.
Gardaí said today that the post mortem examinations on all three of the men have now been completed and the results have been given to the investigation team.
Details of the post mortem results are not being disclosed and a file will now be prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions and the Coroner.
Formal identification of all three bodies by a close friend of the family is expected to take place this afternoon.
Two rifles found close to the bodies of Tadhg and Diarmuid were sent to Dublin for ballistic examination.
Gardaí hope that the results of that, along with the post-mortem examination results, will help clarify the exact sequence of what happened to the three men.
The alarm was raised after Ann O’Sullivan fled the farm at 6.40am on Monday morning telling neighbours that her son Mark had been shot.
Neighbours told gardaí responding to the emergency call that they had heard a number of further gunshots.
The bodies of the three men were found five hours later following a Garda Critical Firearms operation involving up to 100 personnel.
Gardaí are investigating whether the suspected murder-suicide may have been triggered by a dispute over a proposed will.
Vigil held for mother and children found dead in Dublin
Updated / Wednesday, 28 Oct 2020 21:50
A candlelit vigil has been held in honour of the mother and her two children who were found dead in a house in Dublin earlier today.
The deaths of the 37-year-old woman, the 11-year-old girl and the six-year-old boy are being treated by gardaí as “unexplained” and the house has been declared a crime scene.
Residents of Llewellyn Court in Rathfarnham expressed their grief and shock at the tragedy and described how difficult it was to explain what had happened to their own children.
They described the woman, her husband and the two children as a private family who kept to themselves.
Gardaí have been in contact with the woman’s husband and children’s father, who is said to be in a distressed state and has been given access to medical treatment.
It is understood the family had lived in the estate for about a year and had moved to Ireland from another country. The children attended the local primary school.
Gardaí were called to the estate when neighbours became concerned that they had not seen the family in some time.
They arrived shortly before midday and had to force entry to the home, where they discovered the three bodies.
The State Pathologist carried out a technical examination of the property and the bodies were removed from the scene.
Superintendent Paul Reidy of Blackrock Garda Station said the post-mortem results will determine the course of the investigation.
It is understood gardaí are pursuing a number of lines of inquiry into the deaths.
They are carrying out house to house interviews to try to establish the movements of the deceased in recent days.
They are talking to friends and family of the woman and children as part of their inquiries.
Gardaí have also appealed for members of the public not to circulate comments about the case on social media platforms.
They said information that was circulating today was uninformed and unhelpful to the criminal investigation.