RTÉ stars to be sent on COVID-19 course following breach of guidelines
…RTÉ stars to be sent on COVID-19 course following breach of guidelines
Many people were angered by the photos that emerged of a number of RTÉ stars at a gathering for a retirement.© Provided by Evoke.ie
The problem with the photos was the fact that it was very obvious guidelines surrounding COVID-19 were not being followed on the day of the gathering.
After an internal review, it was found that the health and safety guidelines had been breached and all those involved will be sent on a COVID training course.© Provided by Evoke.ie Pic: RTE
Director-General Dee Forbes sent a note out to staff in which she told them that the gathering shouldn’t have happened and that their actions reflected badly on RTÉ.
A Garda inquiry is also underway into whether or not there were any breaches of COVID-19 regulations.
The internal review found that five breaches occurred including a lack of social distancing, the lack of face masks, the non-avoidance of crowded areas, an indoor gathering should not have occurred, and an RTÉ rule of no visitors allowed on campus.© Provided by Evoke.ie Pic: RTE
RTÉ Director-General, Dee Forbes said: ‘These breaches should not have occurred and, as Director General, I am sorry that this happened.
‘What makes this all the more disappointing is that this incident is not representative of the way our staff conduct their work in general, which is to be absolutely diligent in relation to public health guidelines and COVID-19 protocols.’© Provided by Evoke.ie Pic: RTE
The retirement gathering took place on November 12 for a long-standing member of RTÉ staff and those in attendance included Prime Time presenter Miriam O’Callaghan, Six One present David McCullagh, and newscasters Eileen Dunne and Bryan Dobson.
Dee Forbes said it is ‘essential that we all learn from this and that none of us is complacent about the risks of Covid-19’. s