Gardai on Full Alert. But all eerie Quiet on the Streets of Dublin Tonight.

Posted by

Gardaí ready for attack on anniversary of Regency Hotel shooting

  10 hrs ago


Gardaí ready for attack on anniversary of Regency Hotel shooting

Gardai have said they ‘stand prepared’ for a gangland attack that may arise Friday on the fifth anniversary of the Regency Hotel shooting.John O'Driscoll wearing a suit and tie© Provided by Extra.ie

In February 2016, the Dublin hotel was the scene of a brutal murder which sparked a gangland war in the capital. The Regency was stormed by gunmen disguised as Gardai, who shot and killed David Byrne, a member of the Kinahan gang.

He was attending a boxing weigh-in taking place at the hotel. It is believed that the intended target was crime boss Daniel Kinahan.a man standing in a parking lot: Friday marks five years since the infamous Regency Hotel shooting and the death toll in the wake of the incident has been enormous. Pic: Collins© Provided by Extra.ie Friday marks five years since the infamous Regency Hotel shooting and the death toll in the wake of the incident has been enormous. Pic: Collins

Assistant Garda Commissioner John O’Driscoll said the force was prepared for incidents on the anniversary. Speaking at Garda HQ on Thursday, he said: ‘Every day we are preparing for and aware that an incident can happen. Whether it’s on an anniversary or at any other time, we stand prepared and hopefully we can get there before an event takes place.

‘Unfortunately, that’s not always the case, and then we must go into a mode where we have to have effective investigations into the serious injury or murder that has taken place. As you will be aware, there are many successful outcomes to those murder investigations also.’

Mr O’Driscoll confirmed that the investigation into the Regency Hotel shooting is still an open case as no-one has ever been convicted in relation to the violent incident.  However, he said any judgement is a matter for the courts. ‘In the event that the courts may decide, when the investigation has concluded, to prosecute or not,’ he remarked, ‘we will leave the assessment of our actions in that investigation, and the assessment of the actual evidence that we produce, to the courts and, perhaps, that would be a better time to judge our activities.’John O'Driscoll sitting at a desk looking at a laptop: Assistant Garda Commissioner John O’Driscoll said the force was prepared for incidents on the anniversary© Provided by Extra.ie Assistant Garda Commissioner John O’Driscoll said the force was prepared for incidents on the anniversary

He also hit out at misinformation and fake news being disseminated by members of the Kinahan cartel. The assistant commissioner was referring to a high-budget re-enactment of the Regency shooting, which alleges the incident was part of a Garda and Government conspiracy. He said: ‘The danger of fake news is, well where are those people who made that video, who made those assertions? It goes beyond this jurisdiction, because I have seen, for example, bogus documents purporting to emanate from international law enforcement agencies. They have been circulated in what purports to be a book about organised crime.

So, again, the most important aspect of fake news is that people are not accountable for it. If those people come forward and open themselves to scrutiny, about the evidence to support what they’re saying, we’ll certainly react to that. But today, in the absence of that, we can only speak for what we’re doing.

In 2018, Daniel Kinahan was identified in the High Court in Dublin as a senior figure who ‘controlled and managed’ the operations of the Kinahan organised crime group.  The international crime syndicate has been involved in the smuggling of drugs and guns into Ireland, the UK and other parts of Europe. It is also involved in an ongoing feud with the Hutch organised crime group, which has so far cost 18 lives.a man wearing a hat: Even though Mr O’Driscoll would not refer to Daniel Kinahan directly, he confirmed that gardaí are dismantling the Kinahan organised crime group. Pic: Collins Dublin© Provided by Extra.ie Even though Mr O’Driscoll would not refer to Daniel Kinahan directly, he confirmed that gardaí are dismantling the Kinahan organised crime group. Pic: Collins Dublin

Even though Mr O’Driscoll would not refer to Daniel Kinahan directly, he confirmed that Gardai are dismantling the Kinahan organised crime group. He said that in the past two years, 65 people have been jailed for longer than five years each for organised crime offences. He claimed this high rate of convictions was ‘damaging’ the Kinahan gang.

Since the murder at the Regency Hotel five years ago, the Drugs and Organised Crime Bureau has seized over €208.5million in drugs; 133 firearms, including military weapons; 5,561 rounds of ammunition and €21.7million in cash. So far this year, another €4million in cash has been recovered.

Daniel Kinahan is currently living in Dubai and has attempted to re-brand himself as a boxing promoter in recent times. He drew further scrutiny when it was revealed he played a key role in organising a world heavyweight championship fight between Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua. Kinahan claimed to have stepped away from boxing after the controversy, but a BBC Panorama investigation revealed this week that he still holds close links with the sport.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s