Charges Child porn suspect had 250,000 ‘secret’ photos of people on his phone, it is alleged
The court heard a detective sergeant allegedly observed Paul Boyle (43) attempting to take a photograph of a personal nature of a young female travelling on the Luas at Harcourt Street.
March 12 2021 03:22 PM
A CHILD pornography suspect secretly took photographs “of a personal nature” of women and children on public transport and in shops around Dublin, it has been alleged.
Paul Boyle (43) appeared in court today charged with 23 separate offences after 250,000 pictures of people taken without consent were allegedly found on his devices.
He is accused of “specifically targeting”some of the alleged victims, while gardai said other offences were “opportunistic”.
Mr Boyle, a Scottish national with an address at Sandyford View, Blackglen Road, Dublin 18 was remanded in custody with consent to bail at Dublin District Court.
He is charged with 12 counts of harassment, nine of offensive conduct of a sexual nature and two of possession of child pornography – a text and video file.
Detective Garda Colm Grogan said he arrested the accused at 4.47pm yesterday at his home and he replied: “Can we not do this tomorrow?”
He was taken to the Bridewell garda station, where he made no reply to any of the charges after caution.
Objecting to bail, he said the accused came to the attention of the gardai on a date in December 2019, when a detective sergeant allegedly observed Mr Boyle attempting to take a photograph of a personal nature of a young female travelling on the Luas at Harcourt Street.
When this was investigated, a number of electronic devices were seized from the accused and they allegedly contained 250,000 images of persons taken without their consent. These included a number of women and children in places of employment and on public transport.
A text document with explicit child pornography was also allegedly found.
The alleged offences carried maximum jail terms of seven years for harassment, five for possession of child pornography and two for the offensive sexual conduct charge, Det Gda Grogan said.
The accused was a Scottish national who had moved to Ireland in 2018.
“We believe he poses a risk to children,” Det Gda Grogan said.
The DPP consented to a return for trial to Dublin Circuit Criminal Court when a book of evidence is ready.
Applying for bail, defence solicitor Brian Coveney said the accused, who was presumed innocent, was arrested in December 2019 and detained but not charged with anything at the time. He presented himself at Dundrum Garda Station by arrangement in July 2020.
Det Gda Grogan said there was a previous incident when they called to his home address, the accused “attempted to evade us,” exiting his home and scaling balconies.
Mr Coveney said Mr Boyle had remained in the jurisdiction and gardai had previously returned his travel documents.
A trial might not take place until mid 2023, he said.
The judge asked if the alleged victims were “targeted” or if the alleged offences were random.
Det Gda Grogan said the 12 alleged harassment victims were “specifically targeted” and the other nine incidents were more “opportunistic.”
Judge Smyth granted bail in the accused’s own bond of €1,000, with no cash needed. However, he required an independent surety of €10,000, half of which must be cash.
Under conditions, Mr Boyle must surrender his passport and sign on three times weekly at his local garda station. He is to have no contact directly or indirectly, including by electronic means, with any of the alleged victims.
He is not to engage in any photography of children or members of the public and is to stay away from Harcourt Street and Harcourt Road.
He was remanded in custody with consent to bail, to appear in Cloverhill District Court on March 18.