Murdered gangster Robbie Lawlor ‘personally buried torso of butchered teenager’
Officers are satisfied Lawlor and another gangster from the area took the torso in the bag as well as a shovel away from the house and secretly buried it.
Murdered gangster Robbie Lawlor personally buried the partial remains of a butchered teen in a shallow grave, it has been claimed.
Sources last night revealed that gardai probing the teen’s gruesome murder have evidence that Lawlor – a Dublin serial killer shot dead in Belfast last April – took the teen’s torso in a holdall from the house in County Louth where he was murdered.
Officers are satisfied Lawlor (36) and another gangster from the area took the torso in the bag as well as a shovel away from the house and secretly buried it.
The skeletal remains that officers are satisfied belong to the murdered teenager were then dug up several months later and moved to the area of Drogheda where they were found on Thursday, officers suspect.
The discovery of the remains – most of which were in the holdall bag Lawlor carried out of the murder house – was made by gardai on Thursday in their search for the torso of a 17-year-old boy who was brutally murdered and dismembered in January of last year.
Gardai began searching the area following a breakthrough when a crucial tip came from a man who came forward 14 months after the teen was murdered and dismembered.
It is understood that the ground where the remains were buried became exposed over the passage of time and animals got at the bones and left them above ground.
Yesterday afternoon the remains were removed from the scene and brought to the City Morgue in Whitehall in Dublin for a post-mortem examination. The results of a pathology test have not yet been released.
The massive search operation, involving more than 40 gardai including members of the Garda Technical Bureau, was launched on Wednesday on a seven acre waste ground at the rear of Rathmullen Park in Drogheda – just yards from the house where the teen was murdered.
Now gardai are exploring a theory as to whether the remains were moved from a different location in recent times.
“It is possible that the remains were moved to the area they were found from a different area so that is being explored,” a source said.
The teen’s heartbroken family were informed of the find on Thursday and the possibility that the remains are those of the tragic teen, who would have turned 19 at the beginning of February.
Yesterday afternoon, the scene was visited by Chief Superintendent Christy Mangan and Superintendent Andrew Watters while the extensive search of the area continued in the hope that other items – including the weapons used to murder and dismember the teen – could be located.
“Gardai will continue to comb the area for the next day or so to see if any other evidence turns up,” a source said.
Officers later confirmed the remains were human. They are now awaiting DNA tests to confirm their belief the remains are of the teen.
The tragic teen – who cannot be named due to a recent Court of Appeal judgement – was murdered and dismembered in Drogheda in January 2020 by thugs linked to organised crime in Drogheda and Dublin.
Limbs discovered in a bag in Coolock in north Dublin were later confirmed as those of the murdered boy.
His head, hands and feet were discovered several days later in a stolen car found ablaze in a laneway near Croke Park in Dublin’s north inner city. His torso was missing, but gardai are satisfied they have now found it, pending tests.
One of the chief suspects in the teen’s death – which is one of the most gruesome murders in Irish gangland history – suspected serial killer Robbie Lawlor was shot dead in April of the same year.
Detectives believe Lawlor, who was from Coolock in north Dublin, killed at least five people, including the tragic teenager.
Officers believe he killed Tallaght, south Dublin criminal Mark Byrne in 2005.
Byrne (29) was gunned down close to the city’s Mountjoy Prison – minutes after being released from a jail sentence.
He was arrested over that murder, but there was not enough evidence to have him charged.
Gardai believe he devised a plan to murder Byrne when the victim was released from jail on temporary release – after the two men became involved in a bitter prison row.
Lawlor is also the main suspect for the murder of David “Fred” Lynch in north Dublin in 2009.
His body was found in waste ground opposite Clare Hall Shopping Centre in north Dublin on March 30th, 2009 – his 26 th birthday.
Lynch’s body was found by a passer-by walking his dog. He had been shot three times in the head.
Gardai believe Lawlor targeted him after a personal row.
Lawlor was also in the frame for the 2010 murder of Noel Deans.
Small-time criminal Deans was shot dead as he walked home from the Priorswood Inn in north Dublin on Saturday, January 16.
A gunman approached Deans (27) as he walked along Ferrycarrig Road towards his girlfriend’s house and opened fire.
Gardai believe his death may be linked to a local grudge involving the Real IRA. No-one has been charged, but they believe Lawlor was paid to carry out the hit.
And they also believe Lawlor murdered Kenneth Finn (38) in Coolock, north Dublin in March 2018.
Finn was shot three times in the head as he sat in a jeep in the Moatview area of Coolock. Finn was a pal of notorious gangster dubbed Mr Big – a major player also from north Dublin.
Two Belfast men are currently before the courts in Northern Ireland, charged with Lawlor’s murder.