Alleged deception Man (42) accused of making bogus compo claim sent forward for trial
Mr Iosca had alleged he suffered serious back pain after he was hit by a car while cycling in Lusk in 2016
May 28 2021 05:55 PM
A 42-year-old man accused of making a false compensation claim has been sent forward for trial to the Circuit Court in Dublin.
Constantin Iosca, who is originally from Romania but resides at Scholar’s Walk, Lusk, Co Dublin, had sued the Motor Insurers’ Bureau of Ireland (MIBI), which compensates victims of uninsured and untraced drivers.
The MIBI had contested the claim.
His civil action was opened in the High Court in January last year but he withdrew his case on the second day of the proceedings.
Mr Iosca had alleged he suffered serious back pain after he was hit by a car while cycling in Lusk in 2016.
Following an investigation by the Garda National Economic Crime Bureau (GNECB) he was arrested in October and was granted bail at Dublin District Court.
He was accused of making a false statement and deception by making a false insurance claim.
The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) directed that Mr Iosca should be sent for trial on indictment in the Circuit Criminal Court, which has tougher sentencing powers.
In November, the district court marked the case peremptory against the State. That set a time limit for the DPP to finish preparing a book of evidence for the trial.
However, in January the book of evidence was not ready as a result of delays caused by the covid-19 pandemic. Statements from the MIBI and CCTV evidence were still awaited by the DPP’s office at that stage.
Mr Iosca was subsequently recharged and appeared again at Dublin District Court on Friday. He was served with the book of evidence.
Judge Treasa Kelly granted a return for trial order. She told the accused he was being sent forward to the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court and must appear there on July 22 next.
Earlier, GNECB Detective Aisling McLaren said Mr Iosca, “made no reply to the charge after caution”.