Very much active Former Olympic Ireland chief Pat Hickey’s Rio legal case ‘is far from over’, says prosecutor
Mr Hickey is facing charges relating to an alleged ticket touting scheme, uncovered during the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro
July 24 2021 03:00 AM
The Brazilian prosecutor handling the case against former Olympic Council of Ireland president Pat Hickey has accused lawyers defending the case of trying to delay the trial.
Mr Hickey is facing charges relating to an alleged ticket touting scheme, uncovered during the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.
Prosecutor Marcos Kac told the Herald that the case against Mr Hickey is “very much still active” and the 75-year-old is still facing seven to 11 years’ imprisonment.
“All of that evidence is now before the courts. It is far from over as far as I am concerned.”
Mr Kac charged Mr Hickey with criminal organisation, ticket touting, ambush marketing, larceny, money laundering, and tax evasion. Irish businessman Kevin Mallon is also facing charges.
According to police, Mr Mallon, who was working for hospitality company THG at the time, had almost 800 tickets for the games in his hotel room when he was arrested. Some of the tickets had been allocated to the Olympic Council of Ireland (OCI).
It is alleged that THG, after being rejected as an authorised seller by the Rio Organising Committee, used a company called Pro10 to funnel tickets for resale at hugely inflated prices. Mr Hickey, it is alleged, was a key participant in the scheme.
Both Mr Mallon and Mr Hickey have vehemently denied any wrongdoing.
Mr Hickey declined to comment, but he has repeatedly said he looks forward to having his name cleared.
An injunction suspending the hearing of Mr Mallon’s case was granted just weeks before a scheduled 2017 hearing. The same suspension was extended to the case of Mr Hickey.
In September 2019 the case was referred back to Rio to proceed.
Mr Hickey was granted bail in 2016 on condition that he would return to Brazil once a trial begins.