Gardaí can find no motive for murder of teen found shot dead
Gardaí investigating the murder of a teenager say they can find no motive for his killing and are appealing to the public for help.
The body of 19-year-old Conor O’Brien, who had suffered a single fatal gunshot wound, was discovered lying in the driveway of a property in Enfield, Co Meath, on Friday.
Addressing the media outside Trim garda station yesterday, Superintendent Liam Geraghty said the teenager “was not known to the gardaí in any format whatsoever that we are aware of at this time”.
He described Mr O’Brien as “quiet man” who kept very much to himself.
“Our understanding is that he was due to start a new career very, very shortly, in the next week or so. We have no motive for this killing at this time,” he said.
Asked if the killing could have been a case of mistaken identity, Supt Geraghty said: “We have a very open mind at this stage. We will follow any line of inquiry.”
Mr O’Brien had been living in a self-contained flat for the last four months, having moved from Gorey, Co Wexford.
The flat, at the rear of the main residence, is owned by a relative.
Gardaí said Mr O’Brien was in contact with a family member at around 8pm on Thursday. A number of people reported hearing a single ‘bang’ that evening.
Anyone who may have dashcam footage, or other video footage, is asked to contact gardaí at Trim Garda Station on 046 9481540, the Garda Confidential Line on 1800 666111 or any garda station.