RTE Investigates reveals that Dr Zuberi has been practising in Pakistan where he is registered with the Pakistani Medical Commission
A doctor suspected of assaulting unconscious patients in Irish hospitals is still practicing medicine overseas, according to a new RTE Investigates programme.
Three separate investigations are underway into Dr Aamir Zuberi, an anaesthetist who worked at Naas General Hospital since at least 2012, and another Irish hospital before that.
An RTE Investigates programme airing on Tuesday night hears from one of the patients involved, who speaks under the pseudonym “Michael” to protect his identity.
Viewers will hear how Michael was taken to Naas General Hospital in 2017 for tests to explore the source of persistent stomach pains.
His medical file shows he was transferred to theatre just before 3pm, but it was after midnight when he returned to the ward – over nine hours later.
Michael’s exploratory procedure resulted in the removal of his appendix. Dr Bernard Norman, a consultant anaesthetist based in London, told RTE: “A laparoscopic appendicectomy – the whole process is likely to take an hour and a half to two hours, so if you were drowsy or even asleep for hours after an anaesthetic that would be unusual.”
Gardai described how several statements had been made about suspected sexual assaults of Michael and others.
Michael provided a Garda statement, but was unable to recall much about his operation, with the exception of one strange memory of waking up in the recovery room post-surgery.
Do you want the latest political news and analysis straight to your inbox?
Our brand-new politics newsletter brought to you by political correspondent Ciara Phelan explores the big talking points of the week to keep you bang up to date.
From exclusive interviews to highlighting the issues that matter to Ireland – we’ve got you covered.
Speaking on RTE, he says: “When I woke up it was like dark, there was faint light in the background. I don’t know instead of waking up with two legs lying straight, I woke up with my left knee sticking up, like my foot was on the bed and my right leg my knee was sticking out the side of the bed flat. I didn’t think anything of it at the time because I was groggy, I woke up and obviously I went back to sleep. I don’t know, you know it is very difficult to be 100% – that is the worst part of all of this.”
In the summer of 2019, Michael was then told the doctor had left the country and returned to his native Pakistan.
RTE Investigates now reveals that Dr Zuberi has been practising in Pakistan where he is registered with the Pakistani Medical Commission.
Investigations by An Garda Siochana, the HSE and the Irish Medical Council are ongoing, however Ireland currently has no extradition agreement in place with Pakistan.
Michael says he had hoped the Garda case would fill in some gaps and bring him some closure.
“The fact they can’t get him back, it is just astonishing. To know that he was on the radar for that long, God knows how many procedures he went through you know being maybe one of the only few anaesthetists – so that is the sad part for me that he was allowed to slip through the net and disappear.”
The HSE have said Naas General Hospital “has been strongly advised that it cannot comment as to do so would unfairly prejudice the outcome of an ongoing Garda investigation”.
RTE Investigates – A Patient’s Nightmare airs tonight on Prime Time at 9.35pm on RTE One.