Cashing in Ian Bailey to charge fans €5 for ‘virtual night’ of poetry and storytelling
“I’m doing two nights of live streaming poetry and storytelling in January,” Bailey has said
November 26 2021 09:39 AM
Former murder suspect Ian Bailey is set to cash in on his new found fame – with a virtual night of poetry and stories.
Last night, Bailey (64) posted a flyer for the event on his social media pages, which he describes as a nice “Christmas present.”
The ex-journalist has joined a number of social media sites since appearing on two separate documentary series about the murder of Sophie Toscan du Plantier.
And now, he is set to make the most of his new-found fame by charging to €5 to punters who want to hear him recite poetry.
“I’m doing two nights of live streaming poetry and storytelling in January…the 26th will be poems and tales from The West Cork Way and the 27th from A John Wayne State of Mind.
“Tickets would make a very nice and inexpensive Christmas present..”
Bailey has consistently protested his innocence over the 1996 killing of French film executive, Ms Toscan du Plantier.
The body of the French mother-of-one was found on a laneway leading to her isolated holiday home at Toormore outside Schull in west Cork on December 23, 1996.
She had been savagely beaten to death.
Mr Bailey was arrested by gardaí in both 1997 and 1998 but was released without charge on both occasions.
The DPP ruled in 2000/2001 that the Manchester-born freelance journalist and poet had no case to answer.
Bailey claims that sinister attempts were made to frame him for the crime.
He was convicted in absentia of the killing by a Paris court in May 2019 after a prosecution he dismissed as “a show trial” and “a mockery of justice.”
In a recent interview with Virgin Media, Bailey claims he was never physically in Ms Toscan du Plantier’s presence.
“All I know is from the photographs I’ve seen of her,” he insists.
“To my eye she wouldn’t have been necessarily the most beautiful of people. She is attractive, but you know beauty is in the eye of the beholder as we know.”
County Cork-based Bailey told Virgin Media presenter Colette Fitzpatrick in an interview night that he believes the killer of the Frenchwoman is dead.
And he admits he feels sorry for her only child, son Pierre Louise Baudey, who appeared on The Late Late Show in the wake of two major TV series on the infamous murder.
When asked if he believed Sophie’s son was speaking directly to him during his appeal for information during his chat with host Ryan Tubridy, he replied: “Oh I think he was. I watched that. When I heard that was going to happen, I made it clear I should have been offered the possible chance of redress or a voice
“I have it now. I watched that on Saturday or Friday night. It’s just so deeply sad. I mean it’s sad for him. I know he believes that I murdered her. I had nothing to do with it. I can’t change that.
“The only thing I can do is to keep on doing what I have been doing, hoping, praying that the truth will come out.
“Somebody will say at some point..now he says the killer is still alive. I have my own theory that the killer is actually dead.”
The Englishman was also asked about when he attacked his former partner Jules Thomas, on at least one occasion leading her to be hospitalised.
When it was put to him by Colette Fitzpatrick that Jules once needed hospital treatment for an injured eye, which she nearly lost, he paused before replying: “Hmm, I know, it’s shameful.”
It was then pointed out that the eye was swollen ‘the size of a grapefruit’.
“I think that was grossed exaggeration, but I do accept…,” he remarked, before Colette stressed “hospital”.
“Yes, she was, “ confirmed Bailey.
When he was told that Jules also had to get eight stitches in a cut lip she got as a result of his violent attack, he sighed: “Hmm, I know, it’s shameful.”
Earlier this year Jules revealed Bailey physically abused her a number of times and she was finally parting ways with him after a quarter century of a relationship.