People of West Cork, inform this Blog, this is about the Unsolved Murder of Sophie de Plantier, not about the Englishman Bailey. They say a Darkness hangs over West Cork???

Posted by

Ian Bailey ‘worried for his safety’ after receiving death threats

  5 hrs ago


Ian Bailey has said he is worried for his safety after receiving death threats for his alleged role in the murder of Sophie Toscan du Plantier.Ian Bailey, Death of Sophie Toscan du Plantier, Ian Bailey are posing for a picture© Provided by Extra.ie

Ms Toscan du Plantier was bludgeoned with a rock and a concrete block outside her home in Schull, west Cork on December 23, 1996.

Mr Bailey has twice been arrested in connection with the French filmmaker’s death, the 25th anniversary of which will be marked later this month, but he has never been charged.Ian Bailey in a blue shirt: Ian Bailey has spoken about receiving death threats over the murder of Sophie Toscan du Plantier. Pic: Virgin Media TV© Provided by Extra.ie Ian Bailey has spoken about receiving death threats over the murder of Sophie Toscan du Plantier. Pic: Virgin Media TV

Speaking to Newstalk, Mr Bailey said being a suspect has ruined his life and that he has received a number of death threats, including several on Twitter.

‘On November 1 at midnight, he said “when I see you, I’ll do to you what you done to Sophie,”‘ he said of one such threat.

‘This guy could turn up … he sounds like a psychopath to me. I have to be quite careful about my own personal security, and when I’m out I’ll have my back covered.Ian Bailey sitting at a table with a cup of coffee: Ian Bailey has long been the main suspect in the case. Pic: Tom Honan© Provided by Extra.ie Ian Bailey has long been the main suspect in the case. Pic: Tom Honan

Mr Bailey said he has also received ‘threatening phone calls from unknown people.’

Mr Bailey has long denied any role in Ms Toscan du PLantier’s death, but he was found guilty of her murder in absentia by a French court in 2019.

French efforts to extradite Mr Bailey have failed so far, and French President Emmanuel Macron has offered him a new trial if he agrees to travel there.Death of Sophie Toscan du Plantier smiling for the camera: Sophie was murdered 25 years ago this month. Pic: REX/Shutterstock© Provided by Extra.ie Sophie was murdered 25 years ago this month. Pic: REX/Shutterstock

‘I have no intention of going over there — their system of law will find me guilty,’ Mr Bailey said of the prospect of voluntarily travelling to France.

Mr Bailey has written to Garda Commissioner Drew Harris to request that gardai carry out a review of the case, and he has also spoke of his regret at assaulting his former partner, Jules Thomas.

‘We had had sort of fights … domestic problems,’ Mr Bailey said. ‘That was used as an excuse against me, that I had these two incidents. We had both been drunk, but that’s no defence — it was to my eternal shame.’

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s