Garda Commissioner Drew Harris travels to US to get feds’ help to bring down Daniel Kinahan
Kinahan remains in his Dubai bolthole but cops in the US are well aware of the Dubliner’s activities
Get daily headlines and breaking news alerts for FREE by signing up to our newsletterSign up!We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time.
The Garda Commissioner travelled to the US last week to enlist the help of the feds to bring down drug baron Daniel Kinahan.
Drew Harris was in Washington, along with Assistant Commissioner John O’Driscoll, and spoke to federal investigators as work continues to dismantle the cartel.
Kinahan, 43, remains in his Dubai bolthole but cops in the US are well aware of the Dubliner’s activities, as he and over 25 associates are banned from setting foot into the country after they were placed on a narco-terrorist list.
As part of his trip to Washington, the Commissioner met with investigators from the FBI, the Drug Enforcement Agency and the US Secret Service, who assured him of cooperation.
Although Harris did not refer to the Kinahans by name, the Irish Mirror has learned that the cartel formed a key part of the discussions.
Kinahan is wanted by gardai for questioning over orchestrating a number of murders but with no extradition agreement with Dubai, he remains there.
The Commissioner spoke to journalists at the Association of Garda Sergeants and Inspectors conference in Killarney ahead of addressing the 150 members present
Asked about bringing down the mob, Harris said: “Last week I was in Washington and met with federal law enforcement in terms of how we tackle transnational organised crime groups.
“Very productive meetings with various law enforcement agencies – federal law enforcement agencies at the very highest level.
“They have assured me of their co-operation and indeed I have assured them of ours as well.
“We are a significant player when it comes to organised crime and we want to play our full part not just here in Ireland but internationally in bringing those organised crime groups down.”
Harris is also set to meet senior European investigators over cyber crime.
He added: “Later this month I will also be at Interpol and at Interpol we will want to seek to secure further cooperation in respect of transnational organised crime groups around cyber crime.
“Interpol has been a great assistance to us over the last year since the pandemic has started around fraud online.
“There is a huge effort going on internationally and we are right at the centre of that and we are well known to be a trusted operationally competent partner and we want to play our full part.”
Meanwhile, Harris told how he was happy with the convictions over the attack on businessman Kevin Lunney – and his officers are actively working to nail the mastermind behind it.
Alan O’Brien, 40, Darren Redmond, 27, and a 40-year-old man who cannot be named, known as YZ were found guilty abduction and torture of Lunney on Monday, while Luke O’Reilly, 68, was acquitted.
Harris revealed that more files are going to the Director of Public Prosecutions in relation to the case.
He said: “That’s a good start, but work to do.
“Right from the commencement of this investigation, we sought to uncover what the wider conspiracy may be in terms of these offences.
“And that’s involved the evidence that we have recovered throughout this investigation, other lines of inquiry in terms of financial investigation and that’s all ongoing at this moment in time.”
Every day we’ll send you a round-up of the latest news, sport and entertainment all in one handy place.
He added: “The investigation in effect carries on. It doesn’t start from yesterday.
“We have multiple lines of inquiry ongoing and throughout this there is a number of individuals that are going to be reported to the Director of Public Prosecutions over the next number of weeks as well. https://get-latest.convrse.media/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishmirror.ie%2Fnews%2Firish-news%2Fcrime%2Fgarda-commissioner-drew-harris-travels-25420595&cre=mr-bottom&cip=1&view=web&ignoreMetaDataCheck=true&subType=news_story&tags=An%20Garda%20Siochana|Crime|Kinahan%20gang|Daniel%20Kinahan|Organised%20Crime
“So there’s more files to be submitted and the further investigation carries on.”
Asked about the paymaster behind the attack, Harris said: “What I would say with the investigation team, and I know what they’re doing, they are following where the evidence takes them.
“We’ve gathered evidence. And as time has moved, we have got more assistance from the public. And that has given us leads as well. So we’ll go where this investigation takes us.”