This is the Foreigner, not a Care in the World, who is Alleged to have left a English Tourist, in a Critical Condition, in a Irish Hospital, Why Bail?

Posted by

Teenager charged with assault after English tourist left with severe injuries in Dublin

Stefan Bornac, of Woodlands Park, Naas, Co.
                  Kildare, was granted bail after he was charged with
                  assault causing harm at D'Olier Street, D. 2 on April
                  17. Pic Collins Courts
Stefan Bornac, of Woodlands Park, Naas, Co.
                  Kildare was granted bail after he was charged with
                  assault causing harm at D'Olier Street, D. 2 on April
                  17. Pic Collins Courts

Stefan Bornac, of Woodlands Park, Naas, Co. Kildare, was granted bail after he was charged with assault causing harm at D’Olier Street, D. 2 on April 17. Pic Collins Courts

April 18 2022 06:27 PM


A YOUNG man charged with assault after an English tourist suffered severe injuries in Dublin city-centre at the weekend has been released on bail.

Shortly after 2.30 am, on Easter Sunday, gardaí and emergency services attended an incident at D’Olier Street, near the junction with Fleet Street.

A man was treated at the scene for an apparent head injury and removed by ambulance to St James’s Hospital. His condition is understood to be critical.

In a follow-up operation, gardaí arrested Stefan Bornac, 18, originally from Romania but with an address at Woodlands Park, Naas, Co. Kildare. They held the youth under Section Four of the Criminal Justice Act, 1984, at Pearse Street Garda Station.

Gardaí charged him at 5.24pm on Sunday with two counts of assault.

The teenager, originally from Romania, was held pending his appearance before Judge Patricia Cronin at Dublin District Court today.

He is accused of assault, causing harm to a tourist in his 20s, and to a second named man at D’Olier Street on April 17.

Garda Dabhach Dineen told the court Mr Bornac “made no reply to charge after caution,” and he was handed copies of the charges.

There was no objection to bail. Defence solicitor Stephan O’Mahony said bail terms had been agreed.

Judge Cronin noted that gardaí must obtain the Director of Public Prosecutions’ directions in the case. The investigating officer asked for a six-week adjournment.

She remanded the accused, who did not address the court, on €500 bail to appear on May 30.

She warned him that he must abide by conditions: reside at his current residence, notify of any address change, provide gardaí with his number and be contactable 24/7.

He had already surrendered his travel documents, but the judge ordered him not to apply for duplicate or other travel documents, and she told him he must remain in the jurisdiction and sign on every Saturday at Clane Garda station.

She granted legal aid after noting from the solicitor that he was a “suitable candidate”. There was no garda objection.

Judge Cronin also directed that a Romanian interpreter attend the case on the next date.

Investigating gardaí have appealed for witnesses to come forward and those with camera footage from the location at the time of the incident to make it available to them.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s