Man dies following assault in Sligo town earlier this week
Gardaí appeal for witnesses after man in late 30s receives apparent head injury
about 17 hours ago Updated: about 16 hours ago
A spokesman for the gardaí said the results of a postmortem would direct the course of the investigation.
A man has died following an assault in Sligo on Tuesday evening.
The incident occurred sometime around 6pm on Tuesday at Rockwood Parade in Sligo town.
Emergency services attended the scene and treated the man, aged in his late 30s, for an apparent head injury.
The scene was preserved and a forensic examination has been conducted.
Gardaí issued an appeal for witnesses on Wednesday night after the man’s condition deteriorated and he was transferred to Dublin for specialist treatment.
It emerged that he died early on Thursday morning.
A spokesman for the gardaí said a postmortem will be conducted and the results of which will direct the further course of the investigation.
Anyone who was in the Rockwood Parade area on Tuesday between 5pm and 6.15pm has been asked to contact Sligo Garda station on (071) 915 7000; the Garda Confidential Line on 1800 666 111 or any garda station.
Investigating gardaí are also appealing to anyone who may have camera or dash cam footage from the area to make it available.
Investigations are ongoing, gardaí added.