Cartel chief Daniel Kinahan has until October to decide on challenging CAB’s efforts to dispose of south Dublin property
- 14:47, 19 Jul 2022
- Updated: 14:48, 19 Jul 2022
CARTEL chief Daniel Kinahan has until October to decide whether he wants to challenge CAB’s efforts to dispose of a south Dublin property in his portfolio – which he gained after a deal with jailed businessman Jim Mansfield Jnr.
A lawyer for the Criminal Assets Bureau on Tuesday told the High Court that attempts have been made to serve papers at business and residential addresses linked to mob boss Kinahan in Dubai.
Shelley Horan BL said the bureau does not yet have confirmation that he has received the papers and Ms Horan said they “do not anticipate a reaction” from Kinahan.
If Kinahan does not respond Mr Justice Michael MacGrath will hold a hearing at the High Court on October 3 during which CAB will ask for the Dublin property to be sold off by the State.
Thomas ‘Bomber’ Kavanagh, an associate of Kinahan who also has links to the property, has already been served papers while in prison in the UK.
Ms Horan said CAB will notify the men of the October 13 hearing, which she anticipates will take no more than an hour.
If either of the respondents indicates a wish to engage with the proceedings, she said, the court can revisit whether the date set is still appropriate.
Mr Justice MacGrath scheduled the hearing date and adjourned the proceedings.
CAB claims the five-bedroom property in Saggart – which previously belonged to Jim Mansfield Jnr – represents the proceeds of crime and is effectively owned or controlled by Mr Kinahan.
It is alleged that Kinahan and Kavanagh gave Mansfield Jnr two suitcases containing €4.5million which was to be invested in property for the cartel.
That deal collapsed when Mansfield’s finances suffered during the economic downturn but it is alleged that Mansfield Jnr later reached a deal with the cartel to repay them by giving them a house at Coldwater Lakes in Saggart.
Mansfield and his brother Patrick Joseph Mansfield have already consented to an order waiving any claim over the property.
At a previous hearing in April CAB said that Kinahan has effectively owned the property since 2014.