Daniel Kinahan faces court after snubbing CAB in bid to seize property
CAB claims the five-bedroom property in Saggart represents the proceeds of crime
- 06:00, 20 JUL 2022
Daniel Kinahan has snubbed the Criminal Assets Bureau – and now risks a court case to seize property linked to him in Ireland going ahead in his absence.
The High Court heard yesterday that CAB officers have written to the 45-year-old cartel leader at two separate addresses connected to him in his Dubai bolthole – but he hasn’t responded.
And the court has now set a date in October for CAB to proceed with an application to seize a luxury mansion in West Dublin connected to him and key ally Thomas “Bomber” Kavanagh.
The court heard that legal papers had been sent to two addresses that are believed to be linked to Kinahan in Dubai, from where he runs Ireland’s biggest drugs gang.
CAB’s legal representative Shelley Horan said her team has heard nothing back from Mr Kinahan on proceedings against the two men over the property at 10 Coldwater Lakes in Saggart, near Tallaght.
Previously the court asked the media not to disclose the precise addresses at which the proceedings were to be served on him. Both addresses were based on information from the US
Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control, which has applied worldwide sanctions against Mr Kinahan and other senior members of the Kinahan cartel, the court heard.
Those sanctions mean neither he nor his father Christy Snr, 64, and brother Christopher Jnr, 41, can move money around US or Dubai banks – and can’t travel on airlines from those countries.
The three Kinahans have also had bounties of $5million placed on their heads. Ms Horan told the court yesterday that, she did not expect either Kinahan or Kavanagh, who is in a UK prison, to react to or participate in the hearing.
Kavanagh, who she said is aware of the case for some months, has indicated he has no comment to make, she added. The barrister said CAB will notify the men of the October 13 hearing. Mr Justice MacGrath scheduled the hearing date and adjourned the proceedings.
CAB claims the five-bedroom property in Saggart represents the proceeds of crime and is effectively owned or controlled by Mr Kinahan.
It took proceedings earlier this year against brothers Jimmy Mansfield Jnr and Patrick Joseph Mansfield, and against Kinahan and Kavanagh, ultimately aimed at seizing the property.
Ms Horan told the court the Mansfields have been let out of the case based on agreements, and only Kinahan and Kavanagh remain as respondents.
They previously consented to orders waiving any claim against the property.
In sworn statements CAB has set out its belief that 10 Coldwater Lakes was sold for €2million in 2006 to a company of a group founded by deceased businessman James Mansfield Snr.
It said that around 2014 the property was then passed into the control of a crime gang, in which, the court heard previously, CAB believes Kinahan and Kavanagh play leading roles.
CAB has claimed Mansfield Jnr gave the property plus cash to the Kinahan/Kavanagh gang following a failure to make property investments with about €4.5million the gang gave him in 2009.