CLASH OF CASH
GAA ace bagged €1M over 8 years with alleged cruel cancer scam hitting at least 100 victims – including prominent names
- Published: 19:30, 12 Feb 2023 UP DATED BY FRED BASSETT MARCH 2 2023.
- Updated: 19:31, 12 Feb 2023
UP to 100 people are believed to have been hit for cash over a period of eight years by a GAA legend’s alleged cruel cancer scam, we can reveal.
Many of those scammed were prominent names within the Gaelic football and hurling world.
The legend – who may have allegedly accrued up to one million euro in the fraud – was still making begging phone calls up until four weeks ago even though Gardai had begun a probe into the scandal.
The star claimed he was suffering from cancer.
One businessman who gave him a new car thought he was in the US having treatment but discovered from one of the player’s friends he was actually holidaying in the Tropics.
The businessman took the car off him on his return.
It is understood the cancer story had been going on for up to eight years.
We have learned he telephoned one well known former county player and asked him for €15,000 to help pay for so-called cancer treatment he was having in America.
The sports star even named the hospital where he was supposed to have treatment.
However the county player became suspicious and telephoned another GAA household name for advice.
He was then informed to keep his money, that it was all a lie and that many other GAA people had been stung by the same story.
One man who gave him €10,000 and never got a penny back said: “He had been a friend for years. He is a complete and utter Walter Mitty.
“I honestly believe he has tapped up at least 100 people if not more. He has really conned decent, ordinary people.”
Another GAA insider who turned him down said: “This has been going on for a few years now.”
It is understood the sports star even approached his own county board and told them he was very sick with cancer and needed cash.
But they turned him down after making discreet enquiries.
It’s understood a list of people are co-operating with a Garda fraud inquiry into allegations of deception.
It was reported that detectives carried out a search of a room at a hotel in the midlands where the suspect was staying last December. A mobile phone and documents were seized.
A Garda source said: “We will go through every complaint until we get to the bottom of this.
“The investigation could take several months but we have a full team working on it both locally and nationally.”
The sport star himself has now gone to ground and is not responding to phone calls.