Dawn Raids, on the Homes, of Who, What the fuck, is Going on? Dont Divide Irish Society, Sit down, and Talk to the people, of Galway, not the Heavy Gang Tactics.

watchroot's avatarPosted by

Gardai probing hotel arson attack earmarked to house asylum seekers seized ‘number of exhibits’ in dawn raids

Investigators seized a “number of exhibits” for forensic analysis which they said were possibly connected to the incident

Share

  • 06:00, 7 JAN 2024
Ross Lake House hotel in Galway

Gardaí probing an arson attack at a hotel earmarked to house asylum seekers seized “a number of exhibits” in dawn raids yesterday.

It’s understood that smartphones are among the items taken by officers who searched four properties near Oughterard, Co Galway.

The swoop by gardai and members of the Galway Divisional Crime Unit focused on evidence linked to a fire at Ross Lake House Hotel in Rosscahill on December 16.

Investigators seized a “number of exhibits” for forensic analysis which they said were possibly connected to the incident.

Gardaí probing the criminal damage have taken 145 statements and completed 229 “investigative tasks”.

The move came as Justice Minister Helen McEntee vowed to come down hard on anyone involved in arson attacks on sites earmarked to accommodate refugees.

Minister McEntee said: “I strongly condemn these criminal acts of arson. People need to understand these are very serious crimes which carry heavy prison sentences and those who have carried them out will be brought to justice.

“I ask anyone with information either on past incidents or about possible upcoming threats to contact their local gardai.

“It is clear that a group of people in society are intent on sowing division and fear through intimidation. I repeat that there can never be justification for such acts, regardless of circumstances or alleged motivation.”

She said gardai were “continually monitoring emerging threats” keeping a watch brief on social media activity. The minister added: “Ireland is a diverse and tolerant country, and such behaviour is not acceptable.”

Minister for Justice Helen McEntee.

Garda Commissioner Drew Harris previously said gardai are focusing on a number of local individuals they believe were responsible for the blaze. A protest against the use of the hotel as emergency accommodation to house 70 asylum seekers took place the previous day.

Gardai in Dublin are also probing an arson attack on the Shipwright pub in Ringsend which was wrongly believed to be due to accommodate asylum seekers. Separately, plans to accommodate asylum seekers at a disused hotel in Ballinrobe, Co Mayo, are said to have been halted.

Fine Gael Cllr Michael Burke said the owners had withdrawn the lease following a protest. Fine Gael Cllr Michael Burke said the owners had withdrawn the lease following a protest outside the property.

There are 376 recently arrived asylum seekers without accommodation according to the latest figures from the Department of Integration.

“My Department and I are fully committed to the fight against racism and bigotry and strongly condemn the actions of those who abuse and attack others because of their own prejudices.”

Leave a comment