WALKS FREE |
Wexford woman who carried out ‘appalling’ assault on garda is spared jail on appeal
The court was told that the accused had an issue with alcohol from the age of 12 and with drugs from the age of 15

© Wexford People
Yesterday at 15:00
A Wexford woman who assaulted a garda had a jail sentence suspended on appeal to the Circuit Court by Judge Alice Doyle.
The address of accused, Sinead Bergin, was given in official paperwork as Tuskar House, John’s Gate Street, Wexford. The assault on Garda Breda Comerford occurred in the early hours of April 28 in 2021 when Ms Bergin was being arrested by a colleague.
She came to his assistance and found herself grabbed by the hair, so strongly that she required treatment for head injuries. She reported suffering headaches persistently over the following three weeks.
When the matter was before Wexford District Court, a sentence of nine months was imposed. Defending barrister Emmet Whitmore pleaded that his client had been effectively homeless at the time of the offence.
She was now in stable accommodation, he reported, and she had come through rehab successfully.
The court was told that the accused had an issue with alcohol from the age of 12 and with drugs from the age of 15. However, she was now completely clean, Mr Whitmore reported
https://imasdk.googleapis.com/js/core/bridge3.644.0_en_gb.html#goog_499253069
Judge Doyle described attack on Garda Comerford, committed while she was doing her best to protect citizens, as appalling.
The assault had a terrible effect on her, the judge noted. However, it also appeared that Ms Bergin had since turned her life around.
The nine month prison term was suspended with the judge sending her away with a warning: “One foot out of order and she will serve the full sentence.”
