ALJAZEERA: Saudi Arabia slams Netanyahu’s suggestion it should host Palestinian state

Fred Bassett's avatarPosted by

Saudi Arabia slams Netanyahu’s suggestion it should host Palestinian state

The kingdom reiterated that ‘the Palestinian people have a right to their land’ and cannot be ‘expelled’.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu [Elizabeth Frantz/Reuters]

Published On 9 Feb 2025

Saudi Arabia has condemned Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s suggestion that the kingdom’s land be used to establish a Palestinian state.

In a statement on Sunday, the Saudi Foreign Ministry accused Netanyahu of attempting to “divert attention” from Israel’s ongoing “crimes” in Gaza, including “ethnic cleansing”.

Recommended Stories

list of 3 itemslist 1 of 3

What does Trump’s ethnic cleansing proposal mean for Gaza ceasefire deal?

list 2 of 3

Hamas and Israel carry out fifth prisoner swap under Gaza ceasefire deal

list 3 of 3

Why has Trump hit the international criminal court with sanctions?

end of list

“The kingdom affirms that the Palestinian people have a right to their land, and they are not intruders or immigrants to it who can be expelled whenever the brutal Israeli occupation wishes,” said the Foreign Ministry.

On Thursday, Netanyahu responded to an interviewer on Israel’s Channel 14 who misspoke by saying “Saudi state” instead of “Palestinian state”.

“The Saudis can create a Palestinian state in Saudi Arabia; they have a lot of land over there,” Netanyahu said.

The interviewer replied that it was an idea worth exploring.

The exchange drew angry reactions from Arab states, including Qatar, Jordan, Egypt, the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait and Iraq, as well as the six-nation Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC).

Sign up for Al Jazeera

Weekly Newsletter

The latest news from around the world. Timely. Accurate. Fair.

Please check your email to confirm your subscription

By signing up, you agree to our Privacy Policy

protected by reCAPTCHA

“These dangerous and irresponsible statements confirm the approach of the Israeli occupation forces in their disrespect for international and UN laws and treaties and the sovereignty of states,” said GCC Secretary-General Jasem Mohamed Albudaiwi.

The Saudi Foreign Ministry thanked the “brotherly countries” for denouncing Netanyahu’s remarks.

Discussions of the fate of Palestinians in Gaza had already been upended by an earlier shock proposal from United States President Donald Trump for the US to “take over” and “own” Gaza, resettling Palestinians elsewhere in a move that would amount to ethnic cleansing. That suggestion, amid a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, has also been roundly condemned by Arab leaders.

https://imasdk.googleapis.com/js/core/bridge3.684.0_en.html?gdpr=1#fid=goog_973891081

Gaza plan controversy: Israel and US strengthen ties in Washington DC

Next

02:46

Sudan’s Gezira scheme: Once thriving, now crippled by mismanagement, neglect and conflict

Sudan’s Gezira scheme: Once thriving, now crippled by mismanagement, neglect and conflict

03:36

Palestinians make their way after Israeli withdrawal from Netzarim Corridor

Palestinians make their way after Israeli withdrawal from Netzarim Corridor

02:20

Super Bowl security tightens in New Orleans ahead of big game

Super Bowl security tightens in New Orleans ahead of big game

  • 04:42Pregnant woman killed during Israeli military raid on Nur Shams camp Pregnant woman killed during Israeli military raid on Nur Shams camp

Trump has also said Saudi Arabia would not require the formation of a Palestinian state as a precondition to normalise ties with Israel, a claim Riyadh has repeatedly denied.

Israel’s war on Gaza has killed at least 61,700 Palestinians including about 18,000 children, and wrecked much of the enclave’s infrastructure. More than 14,000 more people are missing and are presumed to be dead.

The Hamas-led attack on Israel on October 7 that sparked the war killed 1,139 people and seized more than 250 captives, dozens of whom are still believed to be in the enclave.

https://imasdk.googleapis.com/js/core/bridge3.684.0_en.html?gdpr=1#fid=goog_973891082

3:27

Source: Al Jazeera and news agencies


Leave a comment