Updated / Thursday, 19 Feb 2026 21:42

Britain’s former prince Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, the brother of King Charles, has left police custody after he was arrested earlier today on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
An image was snapped by a Reuters photographer of the former prince leaving Aylsham police station in Norfolk in the back of a car.
In a statement released this evening, Thames Valley Police said: “Thames Valley Police is able to provide an update in relation to an investigation into the offence of misconduct in public office.
“On Thursday we arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
“The arrested man has now been released under investigation.
“We can also confirm that our searches in Norfolk have now concluded.”
The force said its searches in Berkshire are still under way, and that it would make no further statement at this time.
Thames Valley Police had arrested him this morning following allegations against the former prince – who turned 66 today – after the release of millions of pages of files related to paedophile financier Jeffrey Epstein.
Andrew, who became the first senior royal in modern history to be arrested, is accused of sharing sensitive information with Epstein while serving as the UK’s trade envoy.
Pictures circulated online this morning appearing to show unmarked police cars attending Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, England, with plain-clothed officers appearing to gather outside Mr Mountbatten-Windsor’s home.
Searches were carried out at addresses in Berkshire, west of London, and Norfolk in eastern England, Thames Valley Police said.

Earlier this month, King Charles made clear his “profound concern” at allegations over his brother’s conduct.
In a statement released this afternoon, King Charles said “the law must take its course” after expressing his “deepest concern” over the arrest of his brother.
“I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office.
“What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities.
“In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation. Let me state clearly: the law must take its course,” Charles said.
The family of Virginia Giuffre said their “broken hearts have been lifted” following Mr Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest. Ms Giuffre alleged that she was trafficked to engage in sex with the former Prince Andrew when she was 17 years old.
In a statement, Sky and Amanda Roberts and Danny and Lanette Wilson said: “On behalf of our sister, Virginia Roberts Giuffre, we extend our gratitude to the UK’s Thames Valley Police for their investigation and arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor.”
It is the first arrest of a senior member of the British royal family since King Charles I, who was detained during the English Civil War in 1647.
Princess Anne was convicted under the Dangerous Dogs Act and fined £500 in 2002 after one of her dogs, Dotty, bit two children but she was not arrested.
