RTÉ to contact gardaí for clarity over Creaven offences
RTÉ is to contact the gardaí to try to establish if the convicted paedophile and former employee Kieran Creaven used RTÉ equipment in his abuse of children or committed any offences on RTÉ time.
The decision to seek clarification from the gardaí was made today by the Director General Dee Forbes.
In a statement this evening RTÉ said it was “appalled” to learn the details of Kieran Creaven’s “abhorrent crimes”.
The 59-year-old former sports producer who worked for the station for 15 years is serving 10 years in prison for sexually abusing children in Ireland, the UK and the Philippines.
RTÉ had come under increasing pressure over the weekend to explain its actions in relation to its former employee Kieran Creaven.
He sexually abused children online and in person for at least 10 years, until he was caught in 2017.
During that period he was employed by RTÉ as a television sports producer and travelled extensively for work throughout Europe and Asia. His travel and expenses were covered by RTÉ.
Since Creaven was jailed last Friday, RTÉ had refused to say whether it had or was going to examine if he had used his time at RTÉ or used RTÉ equipment such as phones and computers in his sexual abuse of children.
RTÉ co-operated fully with the garda investigation, handing over all computer equipment, phones, files and any other documentation it had in relation to Kieran Creaven.
However the organisation One in Four, which deals with victims of child sexual abuse, this weekend called on RTÉ to carry out an internal review and the Labour Party spokesperson on Children, Ivana Bacik, said the organisation could be open to legal action by his victims.
This evening RTÉ said it was not privy to the details of Kieran Creaven’s crimes and “was appalled” to learn the details when they were revealed in court.
RTÉ said this evening it can confirm that Mr Creaven’s trips to Thailand, Vietnam, Philippines, Cambodia, Indonesia and Kenya were not in connection with RTÉ business.
It also said he was immediately dismissed once he admitted and pleaded guilty in December 2017 to child sexual offences in the UK.
However the Director General Dee Forbes has now decided that RTÉ will also seek clarification from the gardaí in relation to its investigation to determine if there are any other matters which may relate to Kieran Creaven’s time working for RTÉ and be relevant to the organisation.
Gardaí also confirmed today that six people had been rescued in the Philippines as a result of their investigation, five children and one 18-year-old. Three people have been arrested.