Exclusive: Ian Bailey releasing his own ‘six-part podcast’ about Toscan du Plantier case
2nd June 2022
Ian Bailey is planning to produce his own podcast and documentary in a bid to reveal the ‘trials, tribulations and torture… for a crime I didn’t commit’.
The former journalist, who has been a suspect in Sophie Toscan du Plantier’s murder for over 25 years, says he is now in a ‘John Wayne state of mind’, determined to tell his story without any intervention from third parties.
It comes as Taoiseach Micheál Martin reiterated on Wednesday that gardaí are doing everything they possibly can to bring the murderer of Ms du Plantier to justice.
Ian Bailey, 65, was the focus of two documentaries last year, one of which he claims was hugely demonising and ‘self-serving’.
His relationship with his long-time partner, Jules Thomas, also came to an end which led to him moving out of her home and depending on the hospitality of friends.
Speaking to the Irish Daily Mail, Mr Bailey said that his new project, entitled Ian Bailey: In His Own Words, will leave no stone unturned.
‘It’ll be a six-part podcast,’ he said. ‘The first episode will see me reply to all of the false allegations and nonsense that has been uttered about me over the past 25 years.
‘The Netflix documentary released last year was nothing but demonising propaganda. Other people started to write books, making all sorts of defamatory allegations…. I’m now in a “John Wayne state of mind”, and am going to get them back at their own game.’
- He added: ‘I will be naming and shaming people and if they want to challenge me they’re very welcome to do it. Everything I say will be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth’.’
The final episode will depict the Cork resident’s life over the past 12 months, including how his relationship came to an end, becoming homeless and ‘resurrecting myself again’.
He will also give listeners the chance to ask ‘reasonable and rational questions’ and answer these in the last episode.
Mr Bailey said he is exploring the possibility of crowd-funding the project online.
After the podcast is released by the end of this summer, Mr Bailey said he plans on making a documentary about his life. He remarked: ‘I’ve got a very good idea how I want it to turn out and have hours of unused footage that was shot for the Jim Sheridan documentary last year.’
Mr Bailey said his life is now getting back on track, adding: ‘My living situation is reasonably simple now; I’ve got my writing desk back and have a place where I can eat, sleep and work.’
Mr Bailey has twice been arrested in connection with the death of Ms Toscan du Plantier – who was found bludgeoned outside her home in Schull, west Cork on December 23, 1996 – but he has never been charged.
The Taoiseach told the Dáil on Wednesday that gardaí will do everything to bring the murderer to justice.
- Responding to a question from Cork Independent deputy Michael Collins who said the public need to be assured that the killing is still being investigated, Mr Martin replied: ‘I’ve no doubt that if new leads emerge, or if the prospect or capacity for a prosecution exists, that the gardaí will do everything they can to bring the person responsible… to justice.’